- ½ small cabbage, about 2 cups thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, leaves and stems coarsely chopped separately
- 3 scallions, chopped, green and white parts separately
- 2 ears corn, kernels removed
- 2 shallots, fine chopped
- a bunch of cilantro, stems and leaves finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded using a box grater
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup basil, finely chopped
- 12 to 16 corn tortillas
- Tomatillo sauce (jar version is fine if fresh is not available)
- 1 lime, cut in eighths
- 1 Oven Roasted Pork Butt (recipe link below)
Prepare the recipe for Overnight Roast Pork a day or two ahead of time and refrigerate. On the day of, slice or shred what you think you’ll need, put it in a covered baking dish, and reheat in a 200°F to 250°F (95°C to 120°C) oven.
For Swiss chard
In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add some olive oil to coat the pan. Sauté white parts of scallions for about 5 minutes and then add the Swiss chard stems. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Swiss chard leaves and coat with the stems and scallions. Reduce heat and stir until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add some olive oil to coat the pan. Sauté the shallots until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the corn and toss with the shallots, Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes, add basil leaves, stir and remove from heat.
To assemble carnitas
Prepare bowls of avocado, cilantro and lime wedge; shredded cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked corn, chard and shredded carrots. Slice half of the cooked pork thinly and rest on a plate. Warm the tortillas and start filling!