- 3 small carrots, peeled
- 1 small apple, cored but left unpeeled
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons white wine*
Combine the raisins and wine in a small bowl. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Chop the pecans roughly and set aside.
Roughly chop the carrots and apple and place the pieces in a blender. Add the water and lemon juice and blend on high speed till smooth.
Transfer the purée to a medium sized, heavy bottom saucepan. Add the sugar and cinnamon. Cook the purée over a medium heat, stirring constantly, till the mixture is thick. You will know it’s done when you run your spoon across the bottom of the pot and the mixture doesn’t run back together.
Drain any remaining wine from the raisins. Add raisins and pecans to the carrot butter and stir to combine.
The carrot cake butter will keep, refrigerated, for about 2 weeks.