- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh coconut, chopped in small bits
- Salt, to taste
- ½ lime
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Season generously with salt and sugar and drop in asparagus. Cook till asparagus turns bright green and barely tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and shock in a bowl of iced water. When asparagus is cool, slice thinly, preferably on the diagonal.
Heat up a large skillet over medium heat and add butter. When butter melts, add cumin seeds, turmeric and black pepper. Sauté till fragrant.
Add garlic and shallots plus a pinch of salt and continue to cook till shallots soften.
Add sliced asparagus and fresh coconut and cook for a couple more minutes, till asparagus is warmed through. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning with salt and freshly squeezed lime juice.