- Extra-virgin olive oil, for rubbing
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 heaping tablespoon garlic puree
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Cucumber Yogurt Dip - Recipe Follows
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 1/2 lemon
- 8 ( 1/4-inch-thick) slices beefsteak tomato
- 8 thin-sliced red onion rings
- 1/2 cup packed arugula
- 3 tablespoons loosely packed chopped mixed herbs (dill, parsley, mint)
Line a small tray with parchment paper and rub it all over with olive oil.
Combine the milk with 1/4 cup water in a large shallow bowl. Add the bread, using your hands to soak it. Squeeze out any excess liquid.
Combine the bread, turkey, and garlic puree in a medium bowl. Mix with your hands until just combined. Handle it as little as possible. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty, place on the tray, and rub olive oil over each.
Preheat a gas grill or grill pan over medium heat. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper, then grill until soft to the touch for burgers that are just cooked through.
Spread the Cucumber-Yogurt dip (recipe below) on 4 of the English muffin halves. Top with a patty followed by a squeeze of lemon juice, 2 slices of tomato, red onion, arugula, herbs, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and the muffin top.
From Live to Eat: Cooking the Mediterranean Way by Michael Psilakis
Related Stories & Recipes
This recipe yields far more than you'll need to make any one dish, which is the point. If you have it on hand, it will take you less than 30 minutes to make most of ...